7 th April, 1948 was the date when World Health Company (WHO) was made up. Every year 7 th April is commemorated as World Health Day. It is a specific agency of United Nations accountable for public health.
Content in this Post.
How did WHO entered play?
It was 1945, throughout the United Nations conference, a statement was passed to create a worldwide health company.
Who Governs the WHO?
The WHO is governed through two bodies WHA and Executive Board.
The World Health Assembly (WHA) is the online forum through which WHO is governed by its 194 member states. The WHA is accountable for authorizing the WHO work program, budget and choosing the Director– General of WHO.
The very first meeting of WHA was held on 24 th July 1948 and had protected a budget plan of US $ 5 million for the year 1949.
The executive board includes 34 technically qualified members. The main function of the board is to implement the decisions and policies of the WHA and facilitate its work.
What are the goals of WHO?
The constitution of WHO mentions its objective has “the attainment by all people of the highest possible level of health”. It aims to fulfill this goal through various channels.
It works worldwide to promote health, keep the world safe, and serve the susceptible.
The channel includes group of medical physicians, public health professionals, researchers and epidemiologists, experts in the field of health data to name a few.
The present location of focus of WHO is on
- Contagious diseases especially, COVID– 19, HIV/ AIDS, Ebola, Malaria and Tuberculosis
- Non– Communicable diseases such as heart illness and cancer.
- Occupational Health and Compound abuse.
How WHO is funded?
The WHO is funded primarily through the contribution it receives from its members in addition to donations from other organizations and personal donors. It likewise works with non– governmental companies to meet its goals.
- Alisson Becker, the goal keeper of Brazil and Liverpool football group and his better half Dr. Natalia Loewe Becker, medical physician and health advocate are the WHO Goodwill Ambassadors for Health Promo.
- Ray Chambers, the benefactor, humanitarian and health advocate, is the WHO Ambassador for Global Technique.
- Cynthia Germanotta, a mental health supporter, is WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Mental Health.
- Her Excellency Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, a Nobel Peace Laureate, is WHO Goodwill Ambassador for the Health Labor force.
The Regional Head Office of WHO are as follows:
Region Head Office Africa Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo Europe Copenhagen, Denmark South-East Asia New Delhi, India Eastern Mediterranean Cairo, Egypt Western Pacific Manila, the Philippines The Americas Washington, D.C., United States
It is to be taken on a very serious note that WHO has reported the following information for the coming years:
Dr Catherine Le Galès-Camus
Assistant Director-General for Non contagious Diseases and Mental Health
” Without any action at the right time, practically 400 million individuals will die from persistent illness in the next years. Sudden deaths in nations like India, China and Russia are predicted to cost billions of dollars over the next 10 years.”
- Travel Insurance Coverage